For you... my dearest love and truest friend.

Seven and a half years ago we met.  10 months later you asked me to be yours.  Five years ago tomorrow, October 1st, you made me your wife.  We haven't had it easy.  We've had fights that could have brought down the walls of Jericho...  without the marching soldiers.  We always manage to come out stronger on the other side.  We've been through more than it seems most people go through in marriages three times longer than ours... and that have crumbled under the strain of just living.  I truly believe that means we're going to make it for the long haul.  Some people do stay together forever and I pray for us to be one of those couples that defies the odds.  The first two years were hell.  The last three have been close to Heaven. 

I know I am not the easiest person to deal with what with my 24=hour monthly mood swings, my occasional passive-agressiveness and my affinity for reality tv,   But you seem to love me more with each passing year...  not less.  And I know that I love you more today that I did yesterday and less than I will tomorrow. 

You stand beside me when the world is against me.  You stand behind me when I stand up for myself.   Most importantly, you stand facing me when I need to hear reason instead of following my own impulsive nature.   You make me laugh during the bad times and you comfort me during the worst of times.  You are my rock.  

The things you do that annoy me most are also the same things that make me smile when I'm not around you.  The funny voices,, the way you get almost high off of Dr. Pepper, the dumb songs you sing with our pets' names in them.  They all drive me crazy and yet endear you to me more all the time. 

You make me want to be a better woman... a better wife... a better person, but you let me know that no matter what, I'm great the way I am and I'm ok.  When I feel like I don't measure up, you remind me you're not measuring.  When I feel like I fall short, you remind me there's no finish line and when I feel like I'm lost, you remind me I'm always at home with you. 

You are not perfect and I am far from it, but we seem to be perfect together.  You said once that there will be days that one of us wants to just...  be done.  That sometimes it would be me and sometimes it would be you, but so long as we never both woke up that way...  we'd make it.  Well, baby, so far so good.  And despite the rain that is falling outside and the rain that has fallen in our lives...  tomorrow looks like it's going to be a beautiful day.  

So, to you...  the yin to my yang, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Hamlet to my Ophelia (minus the death stuff)...  happy anniversary.  May our love grow ever stronger.

All my love, all my life. 

-A

0 comments:

Post a Comment