I talk big... don't be fooled.

So I love Ghost Hunters on SyFy, formerly SciFi.  It may be my favorite unscripted (yes, it is!) show on TV.  Wednesdays?  Hands down favorite night of the week because the Ghost Hunters extravaganza starts at 7 and ends at 11.  Four hours of uninterrupted awesome.  And hell, even if I thought it all was a bunch of bull, I'd watch anyway for Steve Gonsalves alone because he is all kinds of yum.

That show gets me so interested and preoccupied with the paranormal that any time my husband and I plan a trip to a new place the first thing I do is see what ghost tours there are.  I get so excited when we go somewhere with a lot of history like Boston or like when we thought we might go to Savannah.  But even other places, I always check.  Cape Cod, the Outer Banks...  they all have their ghost tours and I get PSYCHED!!!  I love reading all manner of ghost encounter stories and can't wait to see the places.   You would not even BELIEVE the number of ghost tours we've gone on.   I'll tell you, cuz you'll never guess.   Zero.  Not one.  Why?  Because I love thinking and learning about ghosts, but hell if I actually want to potentially encounter one.  Which I never realize until I'm about to click the Submit button to make our reservation for one of these said tours and then I'm like "um...  no".

I've had my actual ghost experiences.  No, really, I have.  But there is just SOMETHING that stops me from voluntarily coming face to disembodied spirit of the deceased.  If they cross my path, there's not much I can do about that.  However, paying to encounter them and have the ever-loving bejeezus scared out of me is completely avoidable.

So to that end, I can cross the Spalding Inn off my list of places I must go stay.  It was bought by the two Ghost Hunter founders (TAPS is the actual name of the group).  They bought it a year or two ago and I just watched a re-run of another team, from Ghost Hunters International, go through and investigate it.  Yeah, SO not going there.  Ever.  And yet, I came right in here to get ready for bed but took a couple minutes to hop on the inn's website and thought about booking a damn room for a few weeks from now.  We're due for some vacation time, why not head up to New England and spend a night or two at the inn?  Because I'm chicken shit, that's why.  I SO want to go.  But never will.

I'm a living breathing contradiction of myself when it comes to that stuff.  I remember for our honeymoon we went to Boston, Salem, Providence and then over to Martha's Vineyard and I was so stoked for all the ghosties around THOSE places and then it dawned on me that I'd spend half my honeymoon on the ghost tours and the other half locked in the bathroom too scared to come out and have sex with my new husband...  which I'm sure just would have made him ALL kinds of pleased.

Someday, maybe I'll put on my big girl panties and go on a ghost tour or two.   But until then, I guess I'll live vicariously through the Ghost Hunters crew and deal with whatever spookies happen to cross my path.  It doesn't seem as though I'll be searching them out any time soon.

And I'm afraid of the dark, too....

1 comments:

txtingmrdarcy said...

I can SO relate! I'm a complete wuss when it comes to the supernatural. It sounds like your honeymoon was AWESOME! Martha's Vineyard is one of my favorite places on earth.

Post a Comment