Getting my act together...

So since I started this blog about a month ago, I've been working... that's all I can call it... to get myself and my blog "out there". twittering, conversing, visiting tons of blogs and commenting. It has worked to a certain extent. However, I became completely obsessed and I'm stepping back from the non-stop promoting. If you're here and you read this? Great, I'm so happy you're here. The time will come that I want and try to get more readers, but for now I have some things that need my attention.

1. My job. I totally let this blog-thing distract me from my work. During work. And today I rededicated my time to what good people are paying me to do and I hate to admit it, but I've found some mistakes I made in the past month. That's unacceptable to me. I hate my job, it's true, but I need it and I need to do the best I can with it while I'm there.

2. I had a complete stroke of genius today for something I want to write. Something a bit bigger than a blog. I'm excited about it and I want to get to it and get it started and done. I love the idea and I can't wait to bring it to fruition.

3. I saw my uncle this past weekend. I don't see him a whole lot because he lives pretty far away, but every other year or every 3 years he and his wife make the trek up to attend the family reunion. While my husband and I were talking to him about current events type stuff and our opinions and disgust at some of what is going on and talking about social security and the downfall of our economy and how the people of my generation are SCREWED basically. And I was saying how with everything going on, it's not that we don't WANT to plan for our future and put money away, we just don't have the disposable income to allocate to it. As it turns out, my uncle is certified by a pretty big name financial guy who teaches the whole get out of debt, do it now and this is how thing. So I've dedicated myself to that and I think my focus on that trumps my focus on promoting my blog. Also, this figures into number 1 as well because I NEED my job to make this no debt thing happen.

4. My book club is suffering a bit. I'm not giving it the attention I want to. I have to come up with 3 books for my group to pick from by Wednesday and I've not done it yet. I don't think it's fair to them. The books we've read have been phenomenal for the most part and I want to keep that up. I feel I owe it to them as a group of fellow women who love to read.

5. My crochet. I have one project I need to get done in the next week or so and several others I want to get done and it's just not going to happen with the time I spend on here... not posting... but obsessing over stats and incoming links and number of views and which posts are getting read the most and on and on. I've let myself get crazy with it because apparently I had some lofty goals of my blog making me a living. It's not going to. I'm not a trailblazer like Heather Armstrong or amazingly hilarious in a way that I have rarely seen before ever like Allie Brosh. I don't have cute stories about kids and I live a normal life without amusing and engaging stories on a daily basis.

So that being said... I just have other things to focus on. Other things like life. And I need to be living it. Not trying to get people to watch me live it.

Stopping with the endless self-promotion...  Hamlet's Mistress

2 comments:

kel said...

Good luck with the blog! I was equally as obsessive when I first started. For me, after the novelty wore off, I got lazy. I used to blog every day, but now its sometimes only once a week. Life goes on...

Can't wait to hear about the project!

hamletsmistress said...

Thanks for coming, Kel! I do feel better now that I've calmed down a bit. Going to blogs I actually WANT to go to, commenting because I have something to say and not just to get my name "out there". It makes the whole thing much more enjoyable.

Post a Comment