Day 2 - Something You Love About Yourself

Trying to figure out what to post here has been humbling and pretty eye-opening. I thought of one thing right away, but it didn't seem to be enough "about me" to qualify. So I decided to come up with something else. And. I. Couldn't. This strikes me as not a good thing at all. Needless to say, I've realized I need to start making some changes.

At any rate, I'm sticking with the thing I thought of immediately.

I LOVE that I know about sports.

I won't play coy or humble here either. I know my shit when it comes to sports. Philly sports in particular. I'm the same as most people in that I know players names and I know who's good. But then it comes down to the details - the hows and the whys and the but no, because's... and I know that stuff, too. I yell when I see my offense setting the quarterback up in a shotgun formation when we only need to get one more yard. I understand that walking a guy can be good if you know the next guy up to the plate grounds out all the time and it's likely you'll be able to turn a double play. I get that quarterbacks can suck even when the team wins games (YOU HEAR THAT REDSKINS??? YEAH, HE'S DONE!). I call balls and strikes before the umpire and when I start to yell about a bad call, inevitably the announcers right there with me. I'm a slow starter in hockey, but I'm getting there and I imagine by the end of this season I'll be up to snuff with that.

I enjoy it. I know the people who try to seem intellectual talk about sports using terms like "the dumbing down of America" and "who cares about sports when there's a spotted owl dying right. this. second" or "there is disease and sickness and (mythical) global warming going on... how can you even care about sports????). Don't get me wrong... I care about the spotted owl and am sympathetic to the people who think that humans have caused (mythical) global warming and how they're so torn up about it. I do. I honestly do. But to the dumbing down of America? I attribute that to many things other than sports. If you can get a kid engaged in a football game and they actually sit for 4 hours and watch it??? I think they'll turn out better than the kids that go from one video game to another constantly needing bright lights, loud noises and shiny things.

But really, what it comes down to for me is there's such a difference between watching a sporting event and being mentally involved in it. I love the... *gasp* intellectual side of the game.

Don't get me wrong... the winning and the hot guys are good, too. I'm looking at you, Jayson Werth and Brent Celek. Yum.

1 comments:

cynthia said...

I love this about myself, too. Came in 3rd out of 8 in a fantasy baseball season we did at work a few years ago.
And anytime I get into a discussion abut baseball (with men) they are impressed.
Jayson Werth? hehe He looks like a caveman! ;-) But there are plenty of hotties, i love them in those baseball pants.

Post a Comment